I love popcorn, but often steer clear of it because it can be so loaded with fat, calories and artificial ingredients. When I was in college, I had one of those handy air poppers, but it went missing during one of many many moves after college. I have been tempted many times to buy another one, but always resist thinking there must be an easier (and cheaper way). Now I know I could pop it on the stove top, but that involves oil which again takes away from the healthiness.
I am so excited to share this one with everyone. After a bit of experimenting, I have figured out that you can make popcorn in a paper lunch bag in your microwave. I mean seriously this is so cool and so much cheaper and healthier than regular microwave popcorn.
Ok so here is what you do:
1. Get a plain old brown paper lunch bag
2. Put about 1/8 c. of popcorn kernels in it
3. Fold the end of the bag several times to keep it closed
4. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Cooking times will vary depending on your microwave. I used the popcorn setting on my microwave in snack size and it is perfect. Just stay close by and stop it as soon as the popping slows considerably or stops.
5. Voila! Add your favorite topping or eat it plain.
My youngest daughter and I are eating this right now and all I put on it was a couple of sprays of olive oil cooking spray and some sea salt. My daughter is chowing this as we speak. The best part is that unlike using the air popper there is nothing to clean up after. It is also fun because you can make individual bags for each family member allowing each person to put on their own toppings and have their own little bag of popcorn. I promise that once you try this you will never buy microwave popcorn again. If for some crazy reason you are still not convinced that this is awesome check out this link which discusses the health benefits of popcorn. Thanks for reading and happy popping!
What are your favorite popcorn toppings? How do you usually make your popcorn? Do you ever use any unusual popcorn toppings?